14 May 2026
tirc83/Getty ImagesBy Jane Kirby and Ian Jones, PA Media, and Erin Dean
The government has hit a key target to cut the number of people waiting more than 18 weeks for NHS hospital care.
The goal for 65% of elective care patients to be treated within that timeframe by March 2026 was just reached - with a figure of 65.3%.
It was seen as a step towards hitting the 92% target by the end of the Parliament in 2029 – a key manifesto pledge of Labour's.
Health think tanks and surgeons called it a “significant achievement” that was a testament to NHS staff working “flatout” – but also said hitting 92% remained a steep challenge.
Wes Streeting, who on Thursday resigned as health secretary, said in a written statement: “It means we are right on track to deliver the fastest reduction in waiting times in the history of the NHS.
“That is thanks to the Government’s investment, modernisation, and the remarkable efforts of staff right across the country.
Streeting, who has left the government over Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s leadership, added: “Lots done, lots more to do.”
The overall waiting list for planned hospital treatment in England has also fallen for the fifth month in a row and is now at its lowest since summer 2022.
However, interim targets on cancer care and A&E have not quite been met, with experts calling for further action to sustain the progress made so far.
Experts warned there was still a long way to go before the target of 92% was hit – something that has not been done for more than a decade.
The latest waiting list as of March 2026 (Credit: PA Media, NHS England)
Extra “sprint funding” of £120milllion had helped the health service reach the goal, health think tanks said.
Tim Mitchell, of the Royal College of Surgeons of England, said while staff were working flat out, their efforts were being undermined by long-standing under-investment in buildings and equipment.
"Too many teams are still working in ageing buildings with too few theatres and beds. Without addressing these constraints, progress for patients already waiting will remain fragile."
But he added that changes to outpatient pathways and new waiting list initiatives are beginning to deliver real improvements for patients.
The Nuffield Trust, a health think tank, said the data “reflects a huge last minute push from staff, but also the £120m short-term funding boost added over the last couple of months”.
This indicates that the “NHS can perform when better resourced”, said trust fellow Bea Taylor said.
Sarah Woolnough, chief executive of the King’s Fund, said that the extra funding suggests the “progress was bought at a high price”.
“This amount of additional funding will be hard to sustain in the current economic climate. It brings into question whether reaching the eventual 92% target by rinsing and repeating this sequence of 'elective sprints' is financially feasible or manageable for already stretched NHS staff. “
Elsewhere the data showed 76.9% of patients in England were seen within four hours in emergency departments in April, down from 77.1% in March.
The government and NHS England had set a target of March this year for 78% of patients attending A&E to be admitted, discharged or transferred within four hours, meaning the target was missed.
When it comes to cancer, the proportion of patients who began their first definitive treatment for cancer in March within 62 days of an urgent referral or consultant upgrade was 72.8% - missing the 75% target.
NHS CEO Sir Jim Mackey said: “This is a huge moment for the NHS. Hitting our targets for the first time in years hasn’t happened by accident – it’s been down to an absolutely enormous effort from NHS staff up and down the country.”